Saturday, September 24, 2016

Oh dear, deer - Part 2

A while ago I wrote about the deer seen regularly in this neighbourhood. In the local newspaper, opinion letters regularly address options for control of the local deer population. Today we witnessed an incident just a few houses away from us.




Greg was returning from a walk with Fanci and came across this deer. In the photo below you can see a gash all along its hip area. The neighbour across the road explained that it had trapped itself in the black railings, and injured itself trying to get out.




The BC Conservation officers were called and came and tranquilized the deer. These officers will only get involved if the deer is not mobile. When I took this photo, the deer apparently wasn't expected to wake for another hour or so, but I wasn't taking any chances. That's as close as I was willing to get!

Hopefully it was able to move on and find somewhere safe to recuperate. No, I didn't go back and check later on, but I am curious now. I hope it's not there tomorrow when we go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment